Tuesday, June 30, 2009

MAC vs PC

In December 2007, I decided I needed a new computer, and because of my artistic pursuits, Jet convinced me to get a MAC. I had trained in graphic design on a MAC computer, so I wasn't unfamiliar with the way it operated. I was so excited when I got my laptop and Jet and I became like the MAC vs PC ads on the tv! I was totally pro MAC and he was pro PC.

I never thought for a minute that the MAC ads and the sales people were portraying anything but the truth. "They never freeze or crash" they said. "They never get viruses". "They are made for last for 8 years" they said. About 2 months ago, my MAC started to run slowly so I downloaded Onyx which is a software that cleans up your hard drive, but before I did that, I bought an external hard drive to back up my files. Onyx needed me to do something with the start up disk, so it was my intention to go into the Genius Bar and get their help.

Last Thursday, when I had just finished my first writing assignment for my new teacher, and the day that Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson passed away, my MacBook hard drive died too. It was so fried in fact, that it wouldn't even boot up from the initial white screen. I thought these things only happened when Mercury was in retrograde?

I called the Apple Store to make an appointment and the earliest wasn't until the next day at 1pm. I took it in and the guy was pretty much like "there's nothing we can do except replace your hard drive". Hmph. They did so within a day, and I made another appointment with the Genius Bar to reinstall my back up from Time Machine. An hour later, it still wasn't loading, so I checked my MacBook in again for them to do it and find out what was wrong with my Time Machine back up. It's been 2 days, and I haven't heard back, but they said that I should hear back within 3 days.

This post was not just intended as a rant, but also a warning to other MAC users! They are not bullet proof - don't believe all the propaganda that they feed you. They do crash, they do freeze and mine had a faulty hard drive at only a year and a half old. Back up your stuff! I am going to invest in a Time Capsule which backs up our entire network (including both PCs and MACs and also my iPhone) every hour so that if anything ever happens again, I have everything up to the last hour. It wouldn't have helped my assignment, but it would have saved me a lot of work.

1 comment:

Joy and Kathryn said...

Sophie
Give me a call about Friday Kathryn (or e-mail, Joy and I are up for what ever you would like to do)