Sunday, May 30, 2010

Do I? Don't I? The Customer Service Dilemma

Yesterday was quite a strange day. I started early and went to the pet store. I was recommended "At Your Service Pet Supplies" by our dog walker and I like to support local business whenever I can. I've been going there for about 12 months now and usually they are friendly and helpful. Maybe I was having an off day, or perhaps I had that "don't mess with me" look on my face, but I don't really think that was it.

I walked in and went on a mission to find biodegradable poop bags. After not finding any I went and picked up a big bag of dog food instead. I put it on the counter, and had to wait for the young girl to even acknowledge I was there even though she was only a couple of feet away from me. I asked her directions to the poop bags I had been unable to find, went and picked them up, then remembered that I also needed to pick up some straw for Princess Laya - my friend Rob's duck. So I wandered around but could not find what I was after. What I did find was an older lady who appeared to be an employee of the store, who, even though was watching me wander around looking for something, did not offer any assistance.

So I went back to the front counter, and waited in line for the unhappy girl serve the people in front of me. At that point, I knew that it wasn't me - the customers ahead of me tried some friendly banter with her and she just shut them down! When it came time for my transaction, she was officious, rude and unpleasant. I tried to ask her where the hay was and she cut me off by asking "debit or credit" so I gave up, paid for my stuff and left. So now I am in a quandry - do I continue do shop there even with Miss Bad Attitude?


But it didn't end there. I went to the BBQ festival in Boulder City to get a rib fix, thinking that because it was a competition bbq, the ribs would be awesome. WRONG! I waited for an hour and a half in the hot sun, only to get home and find that the ribs were dry, overcooked and chewy. Thumbs very down to Big T's BBQ. The funniest comment though was from the guy serving behind the counter. When a customer made it to the front of the line and asked the question "so who has the best ribs?" his answer was not "we do!". He simply replied "I don't really know 'cause I don't eat ribs, but I guess ours are pretty good".

What the?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They knew you had a mischievous dachshund at home, so they gave you the hard service. Maybe you should get a duck :)