Monday, April 28, 2008

From Cambridge to Paris, the Start of the Super-Fast European Adventure

Photos by Jet Tila

Bonjour! We have made it to Paris, after surviving my driving in England. Apparently I drive much better on the left hand side which is thoroughly believable since I have been doing that for significantly longer than driving on the right! On arrival in Cambridge, we were quickly welcomed back into the Hagard family and fed one of my favorite English dishes, Coronation Chicken!

It is a very strange feeling to be a tourist in a city that you were once a resident... it's almost like groundhog day from when I first arrived in 2004! I even got sentimental about the baked potato stand that was once the major contributor toward making my clothes too small...

Other people punting on the River Cam (just so you get the idea)

We went punting on the river and got some Cambridge history under our belts, indulged in a Cornish Pasty, indulged further in a Chelsea Bun then hit the Asian market for some supplies for dinner. Jet prepared some Vietnamese rolls which my family demolished in record time, complimenting him on his prowess in the kitchen! But we knew that already... He had multiple sous chefs and even had me working and getting my hands dirty! I know that there is photographic evidence of this, however I don't have any at the moment. I'm sure it will appear in a history book sooner or later.


A Chelsea Bun

On Saturday we attended the party in Ely at the Riverside Inn and we caught up with my crazy and fabulous extended family! As the day came to an end, I realized how much I missed them all - even though I didn't see them that often while I lived in the UK. I guess I just knew they were there. We also organized to trade Indian & Thai recipes with the Mehta family when we are back in London!

After the party, we again hit the Asian market and Jet made some vegetarian dishes, while Miche prepared some haggis! Haggis is liver, kidney, heart and a bit of barley, cooked in a sheep's stomach and should be enjoyed with whiskey and a special haggis poem. We got to enjoy the whole package as Spencer produced not only whiskey, but the poem as well! After a dubious taste, I had to admit, that it was actually quite tasty.

Haggis!

We are just back from enjoying a tasting menu at Taillevent, however that demands a blog all of its own...

No comments: